The Belt and Road Initiative in Italy. Five Case Studies
Italy’s officially joining the China-led Belt and Road Initiative sparked a fierce debate. By analysing five fields of cooperation, the volume sheds light on whether the bilateral agreement has brought about an intensification of bilateral collaboration as wished by the Italian government at the time and whether the concerns around it have materialised. The contributions will show that potential risks coexist alongside unsubstantiated ones.
Volume prepared in the framework of the IAI project ‘When Italy Embraces the BRI’.
Figures, p. 7
Tables, p. 9
Foreword / Lorenzo Kamel, p. 11-12
Introduction / Beatrice Gallelli, Francesca Ghiretti and Lorenzo Mariani, p. 13-25
1. The Maritime Belt and Road: Italian ports / Francesca Ghiretti, p. 27-45
2. China-Italy: An analysis of financial cooperation / Nicola Bilotta, p. 47-69
3. One belt one voice: Chinese media in Italy / Francesca Ghiretti and Lorenzo Mariani, p. 71-96
4. Silk road academic connections / Nicola Casarini, p. 97-117
5. The internationalisation of China’s scientific power / Lorenzo Mariani, p. 119-144
Conclusion / Beatrice Gallelli, Francesca Ghiretti and Lorenzo Mariani, p. 145-159
Contributors, p. 161-162
Abbreviations, p. 163-165