Italians and Defence
Islamic terrorism, Libyan chaos, cyber-attacks and energy supplies constitute the most pressing concerns for Italians, who support old-time alliances within the EU and NATO frameworks as well as with the United States. While recent initiatives towards a greater defence integration and cooperation in Europe are endorsed beyond partisan divisions, there are divergent opinions on Donald Trump’s impact on Italy’s security. These are the outcomes of a survey carried out by University of Siena’s Laboratorio Analisi Politiche e Sociali (LAPS) in partnership with Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI). In addition, the survey also considers Italians’ orientations regarding international missions, defence expenditures, and other aspects related to Italy’s defence policy.
1. Italians and international threats
2. Italians and national security strategies
3. Italians and the Armed Forces’ role
4. Italians and international missions
5. Italians and their knowledge of defence