Alessandro Marrone is Head of IAI Defence Programme, as well as senior fellow in the Security Programme. He has been working at IAI since 2007, and is responsible for research projects funded either by the European Defence Agency (i.e. Putting the EUGS into Action, Permanent Monitoring and Analysis), NATO (i.e. Defence Matters) or industries in the aerospace and defence sector (es. The security in the Mediterranean and Italy). Currently he works on research projects and publications related to European and transatlantic security as well as to Italian defence policy. He also teaches Strategic Studies course in the International Relations Master’s Degree at the Political Science Department of the University of Perugia. In 2016 he holds a PhD in History of Europe from the Political Science Department of the Sapienza University of Rome. In 2009 he has obtained a Master of Science (MSc) in International Relations at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). Previously he got a BA degree in Political Science and a MSc degree in International Relations from the LUISS Guido Carli University in Rome, in both cases with first class honours. He is a member of the Editorial Board of IAI webzine AffarInternazionali, and collaborates as free-lance journalist with several Italian magazines and web-magazines, including Aspenia online, Eastwest, Rivista Italiana Difesa and Rivista marittima.
He is interested in: European security and defence issues and EU role, NATO, Italian defence and foreign policy, European armed forces, defence procurement, defence-related research and technology, European defence industry and market, security in the Mediterranean region.
- 24/07/2018 - press About Energy - Marrone: A Summit focused on trade policy
- 15/07/2018 - press Aspenia online - Marrone: Trump's NATO summit: when drama overcomes substance
- 13/07/2018 - press Agenzia Sir - Marrone: Nato summit, “supporting the European Union in patrolling the Mediterranean Sea”
- 06/07/2018 - press Defense News - Marrone: Leonardo warns UK, EU of pitfalls of a ‘hard’ Brexit
- 07/06/2018 - press Defense News - Marrone, Darnis: Russian ‘advocates’. Italy’s new government unnerves Western allies
- 16/04/2018 - press Aspenia online - Marrone: The reasons behind nuclear weapons' revival
- 06/11/2017 - press EU Forum - Marrone: Italy, a steady supporter of European defence
- 27/05/2017 - press Aspenia online - Marrone: NATO Trump summit: modest decisions, unclear symbols
- 27/05/2017 - press Aspenia online - Marrone: The NATO Summit: modest decisions and ambiguous signals
- 21/04/2017 - press Defence News - Marrone: Trump Victory Forces Europe's Hand on Russia Policy
- 09/11/2016 - press Defence News - Marrone: Trump Victory Forces Europe's Hand on Russia Policy