Lorenzo Kamel is Associate Professor of History at the University of Turin and series editor of IAI Research Studies, Quaderni IAI and Global Politics and Security (published by Peter Lang). He is the scientific director of New-Med and was IAI scientific coordinator of the Horizon2020 MENARA project. He holds a two-years M.A. in Israel Studies from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, a Ph.D. in History from the University of Bologna, and was a Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University’s Center for Middle Eastern Studies (CMES) for two years, and a Marie Curie Experienced Researcher at the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg. He held lessons and courses in many universities – including the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, the University of Bologna, and Harvard University – and lived many years in several countries in the Middle East, spending also extensive periods as a Visiting Fellow in Palestine (Birzeit University), Egypt ('Ain Shams University), Israel (Hebrew University), Turkey (Bilkent University).
He published ten books (5 authored) on Middle Eastern and Mediterranean affairs – including The Middle East from Empire to Sealed Identities (Edinburgh UP 2019), Imperial Perceptions of Palestine: British Influence and Power in Late Ottoman Times (I.B. Tauris 2015) and Arab Spring and Peripheries. A Decentring Research Agenda (Routledge 2016) – and was awarded with the 2010 “International Giuseppe Sciacca award”, the Fritz Thyssen Grant, and the 2016 “Palestine Academic Book Award”.
His publications include also over 30 articles on academic journals (such as: British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, Mediterranean Politics, Peace and Change, Eurasian Studies, New Middle Eastern Studies, Passato e Presente, Oriente Moderno, The International Spectator, Storicamente), and about 200 articles on Al Jazeera, Ha’aretz, Al-Monitor, The National Interest, Project Syndicate and other media outlets in 10 languages, in over 30 countries. He regularly serves as a peer reviewer for the European Research Council (ERC Consolidator Grants), Routledge (History books), International Affairs (Chatham House), Eurias, and other institutions and publishing houses.
He speaks Italian, English, Hebrew, Arabic, has a working knowledge of French, Ottoman Turkish, and Latin. He is 38 years old and the proud father of Niccolò and Valerie.
Quarant'anni dalla "Rivoluzione Islamica": ascesa e declino del sodalizio tra clero e politica in Iran
- 03/09/2020 - press Sada: Kamel: “Quiet Annexation” amid UAE-Israel Normalization
- 20/08/2020 - press Aspenia online - Kamel: Radici e risvolti dell’accordo Israele-Emirati
- 06/08/2020 - press Sada - Kamel: The Roots of Israel's Annexation Policy
- 19/01/2020 - press AlJazeera - Kamel: "Soleimani and the weight of history"
- 28/11/2019 - press Carnegie middle east center - Kamel: "With the Peace Process Dead, What Options Are Open for the Palestinians to Create a State?"
- 24/06/2019 - press Aljazeera - Kamel: The Palestinian refugees and the 'monologue of the century'
- 07/06/2019 - press Middle East Monitor - Kamel: The European election and the relationship with the Middle East
- 03/04/2019 - press Leadership: Kamel - EU-Africa: local economy and migration
- 14/12/2018 - press Le Diplomat Tunisien - Kamel: Si l’Europe veut 'développer' l’Afrique, elle devra d’abord mettre fin à l’exploitation
- 11/12/2018 - press TRT World - Kamel: If Europe wants to ‘develop’ Africa, it should end exploitation first
- 17/09/2018 - press Equaltimes - Kamel: The EU's role in tackle Gambia's migrant problem
- 23/08/2018 - press The Peninsula - Kamel: Torpedoing Africa, and then complaining about ‘migration’
- 22/08/2018 - press Piqd - Kamel: The Roots Of The So Called Migration Crisis Lie In Europe, Especially In The Case of Africa
- 21/08/2018 - press Benin web tv - Kamel: Torpiller l’Afrique, puis se plaindre de «migration»
- 27/04/2018 - press Middle East Monitor - Kamel: Syria: The war and ‘us’
- 20/02/2018 - press The Peninsula - Kamel: Stop abuse of Africa’s resources to end migration
- 15/02/2018 - press Al Jazeera - Kamel: Trump and Jerusalem, a legal and historical appraisal
- 15/02/2018 - press Al Jazeera - Kamel: To stop migration, stop the abuse of Africa's resources
- 05/02/2018 - press Aspenia Online - Kamel: The dangers of homogenous entities: the Kurdish case
- 23/12/2017 - press Berkeley Political Review - Kamel: Iraq’s Kurds. Questions on Self-Determination
- 1 of 4
- next ›