European Security and Defence Forum
The European Security and Defence Forum (ESDF) has been established in 2009 to analyse the shifts and developments in national and European security and defence policies, and to promote a better understanding of Europe's wider strategic relationship with the United States.
The IAI is cooperating with Chatham House (The Royal Institute of International Affairs) on this three-year initiative launched in the UK with the active support of Finmeccanica.
The ESDF works to reinvigorate public debate on European security and defence issues, to draw the attention of academic and nongovernmental communities to defence policy, to encourage comparative and interdisciplinary studies and disseminate policy-oriented results. The Forum is aimed to investigate areas of international cooperation, as well as to identify potential responses to new and emerging threats and challenges.
The ESDF convenes a series of workshops and holds an annual conference. Additional events also take place to develop specific areas of interest. Over the course of the project, a series of briefing papers are to be published, together with an annual compendium of essays and commentaries known as The Carrington Papers. This will provide the opportunity for dissemination of policy-oriented research and recommendations to the policy community and the wider public.
A Steering Committee provides guidance and advice on the focus and substance of the meetings and reviews the Forum's progress. Members of the Steering Committee include:
- Sir David Omand GCB, formerly Security and Intelligence Co-ordinator and Permanent Secretary to the Cabinet Office
- Prof. Alyson Bailes, Visiting Professor, University of Iceland; formerly Director, Stockholm International Peace Research Institute
- Bernard Jenkin MP, Defence Select Committee, House of Commons
- Dr. Carlo Musso, Head, Research Department, Finmeccanica
- William Shapcott, Director, EU Joint Situation Centre
- Dr. Jamie Shea, Director, Policy Planning NATO
- Prof. Stefano Silvestri, President, Istituto Affari Internazionali
- Sir Kevin Tebbit, Chairman, Finmeccanica UK
The Steering Committee works closely with Dr. Paul Cornish, Head of International Security Programme and Carrington Chair in International Security at Chatham House.
- 6th seminar: "European Security and Defence: Setting a Future Agenda", 9 November 2011, Chatham House - London
- 5th seminar: "European Security and Defence: Lessons from the Last Decade", 1 July 2011, Chatham House - London
- Round table: "Le lessons learned dall’Afghanistan", 16 June 2011, IAI - Rome
- Conference on: "Collaboration, Coordination and Competition: Managing Acquisition, Research and Technology in European Security and Defence", 24-25 January 2011, Chatham House - London
- 4th seminar: "A New European Security Architecture?", 11 November 2010, Chatham House - London
- Conference on: The new British government and the European defence cooperation, 24 June 2010, IAI – Rome
- Seminar of the European Security and Defence Forum and presentation of 2010 Call for papers, 24 June 2010, IAI, Rome
- 3rd seminar: European Security and Defence: Capabilities and Cooperation, 4 June 2010, Chatham House - London
- Conference "European Defence and Security: New Challenges, New Choices", 25 - 26 January 2010, Chatham House – London
- 2nd seminar: New Transnational Security Challenges and Responses, 11 November 2009, Chatham House - London
- 1st seminar: Changing Concepts of Security and Defence, 10 June 2009, Chatham House - London
Young Professionals and Academics in ESDF
One central component of ESDF is a focus on young professionals and academics, so that new European voices can be heard at a time of considerable change in European security and strategic thinking.
The workshop held in November 2009 featured papers and presentations by young researchers and practitioners on a range of themes relating to European security and defence policy.