The European Union urgently has to work out a new strategy towards the Mediterranean and the Middle East. It has to back the democratic transformations of Arab societies, but also assert the need for new cooperation in the field of security so that the inevitable changes do not produce new international crises and do not generate new threats. The EU can take advantage of a favourable situation which, however, may not last long. This is a crucial test for the Union’s common foreign and security policy after Lisbon.
Published also in English: IAI Working Papers, No. 11|10 (May 2011).
2. Linee generali di una strategia
3. Da dove partiamo: le illusioni infrante
4. Dove siamo: nuove coalizioni e nuovi spazi politici
5. Dove andare: democratizzazione nella sicurezza
6. Da dove partire: 5+5, Ccg, Conferenza per la sicurezza