A European Strategy for Democracy, Development and Security for the Mediterranean
The European Union urgently has to work out a new strategy towards the Mediterranean and the Middle East. It has to back the democratic transformations of Arab societies, but also assert the need for new cooperation in the field of security so that the inevitable changes do not produce new international crises and do not generate new threats. The EU can take advantage of a favourable situation which, however, may not last long. This is a crucial test for the Union’s common foreign and security policy after Lisbon.
Published also in Italian: Documenti IAI, No. 11|07 (May 2011).
2. The guidelines of the strategy
3. Where to start: shattered illusions
4. Where are we: new coalitions and new political spaces
5. Where to go: democratization in security
6. Where to start: 5+5, GCC, Conference for security