Since 2002, the African Union (AU) has been making commendable efforts to prevent, manage and resolve conflicts on the African continent. However, the AU and its newly created structures still suffer huge shortcomings and rely significantly on external support. The Joint Africa-European Union (EU) Strategy and its Action Plan, adopted in December 2007 in Lisbon, established a Peace and Security Partnership. In preparation for the 2010 Africa-EU Summit, this publication brings together African and European views of the progress achieved so far by the AU and the EU in their joint efforts to address African wars and crises, and offers input on emerging priorities and what is still required to make the Partnership work.
Proceedings of the conference "Ensuring Peace and Security in Africa: Implementing the New Africa-EU Partnership and Developing Cooperation in De-mining and Disarmament", Rome, 7-9 October 2009.
Chapters 2 and 5 published in The International Spectator, Vol. 45, No. 2 (June 2010):
- Andebrhan W. Giorgis, Coordinating International Support for African Peace and Security Efforts: From the G8 to the EU, p. 69-83
- Nicoletta Pirozzi, Towards an Effective Africa-EU Partnership on Peace and Security: Rhetoric or Facts?, p. 85-101.
Preface, p. 5-6
List of Acronyms, p. 8-11
I. Ensuring Peace and Security in Africa: Implementing a New Africa-EU Partnership
1. An African Perspective, Georges Nzongola-Ntalaja, p. 15-27
2. A European Perspective, Nicoletta Pirozzi, p. 28-43
II. EU and AU Operations in Africa: Lessons Learned and Future Scenarios
3. An African Perspective, Kwesi Aning and Kwaku F. Danso, p. 47-57
4. A European Perspective, Damien Helly, p. 58-73
III. G8 and EU Support to African Efforts in Peace and Security
5. An African Perspective, Andebrhan W. Giorgis, p. 77-91
6. A European Perspective, Alex Vines, p. 92-106
Report of the Conference, Mulanda Juma, p. 107-126
Programme of the Conference "Ensuring Peace and Security in Africa: Implementing the New Africa-EU Partnership and Developing Cooperation in De-mining and Disarmament", Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Rome, 7-9 October 2009, p. 127-131