Nathalie Tocci is Director of the Istituto Affari Internazionali and Honorary Professor at the University of Tübingen. She is Special Advisor to EU High Representative and Vice President of the Commission Josep Borrell. As Special Advisor to HRVP Federica Mogherini she wrote the European Global Strategy and worked on its implementation. She has been a member of Eni's Board of Directors since May 2020.
Previously she held research positions at the Centre for European Policy Studies, Brussels, the Transatlantic Academy, Washington and the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, Florence.
Her research interests include European foreign policy, conflict resolution, the Middle East and the Mediterranean.
Her major publications include: Framing the EU's Global Strategy, Springer-Palgrave Macmillan, 2017 (author); The EU, Promoting Regional Integration, and Conflict Resolution, Springer-Palgrave Macmillan, 2017 (co-editor); Turkey and the European Union, Palgrave Macmillan, 2015 (co-author); Multilateralism in the 21st Century, Routledge, 2013 (co-editor), Turkey’s European Future: Behind the Scenes of America’s Influence on EU-Turkey Relations, New York University Press, 2011 (author); and The EU and Conflict Resolution, Routledge, 2007 (author).
Nathalie is the 2008 winner of the Anna Lindh award for the study of European Foreign Policy.
- 10/05/2018 - press Politico - Tocci, Alcaro: How Europe can save the Iran deal
- 09/05/2018 - press Financial Times - Tocci: Europeans look to salvage Iran deal without Trump
- 09/05/2018 - press The New York Times - Tocci: Europe, again humiliated by Trump, struggles to defend its interests
- 26/04/2018 - press Carnegie Middle East Center - Tocci: Can the International Community Breathe New Life into the Geneva Process for Syria?
- 23/03/2018 - press Washington Post - Tocci: The Kremlin and who will lead Italy
- 15/03/2018 - press Politico - Nathalie Tocci: Who do I call if I want to call the US?
- 13/03/2018 - press Guardian - Tocci: The level of EU engagement with UK requests for help over Russia
- 08/03/2018 - audio The Chicago Council on global affairs - Tocci: Votes are in. Understanding new Italy and Germany
- 05/03/2018 - video Bloomberg - Tocci: Results in Italy for Berlusconi, Renzi Disappoint
- 17/02/2018 - press Judy Dempsey's Strategic Europe Blog - Judy Asks: Is the West Selling Itself Short?
- 14/02/2018 - press The Security Times - Colombo & Tocci: (Tri)poli-sci. Squaring the triangle of security, migration and state-building in Libya
- 07/02/2018 - press Judy Dempsey's Strategic Europe Blog - Judy Asks: Has Italy Lost Its Way?
- 13/12/2017 - press Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso - Tocci: Il futuro dei rapporti Ue-Balcani
- 13/12/2017 - press Judy Dempsey's Strategic Europe Blog - Judy Asks: Is the Two-State Solution Over?
- 12/12/2017 - press Valdai - Tocci: A Crisis of Perception and Reality in EU-Russia Relations
- 07/11/2017 - press Financial Times - Tocci: EU states poised to agree joint defence pact
- 11/10/2017 - press Financial Times - Tocci: Brussels ducks Catalonia crisis mediation calls
- 09/10/2017 - press Época NEGÓCIOS - Tocci: Quais os maiores desafios à segurança no mundo?
- 05/08/2017 - press The Washington Post - Tocci: Macron touts Europe’s interests, but early actions put France first
- 01/08/2017 - press Financial Times - Tocci: Migration opens the door to Italy’s populists