Nathalie Tocci is Director of the Istituto Affari Internazionali and Honorary Professor at the University of Tübingen. She is Special Advisor to EU High Representative and Vice President of the Commission Josep Borrell. As Special Advisor to HRVP Federica Mogherini she wrote the European Global Strategy and worked on its implementation. She has been a member of Eni's Board of Directors since May 2020.
Previously she held research positions at the Centre for European Policy Studies, Brussels, the Transatlantic Academy, Washington and the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, Florence.
Her research interests include European foreign policy, conflict resolution, the Middle East and the Mediterranean.
Her major publications include: Framing the EU's Global Strategy, Springer-Palgrave Macmillan, 2017 (author); The EU, Promoting Regional Integration, and Conflict Resolution, Springer-Palgrave Macmillan, 2017 (co-editor); Turkey and the European Union, Palgrave Macmillan, 2015 (co-author); Multilateralism in the 21st Century, Routledge, 2013 (co-editor), Turkey’s European Future: Behind the Scenes of America’s Influence on EU-Turkey Relations, New York University Press, 2011 (author); and The EU and Conflict Resolution, Routledge, 2007 (author).
Nathalie is the 2008 winner of the Anna Lindh award for the study of European Foreign Policy.
- 08/05/2019 - press Lobe Log: Alcaro, Tocci: 22 European Security Experts Call on US to Rejoin Iran Deal
- 02/04/2019 - press Financial Times - Tocci: Nato at 70: Europe fears tensions will outlast Trump
- 27/02/2019 - press Xinhua - Nelli Feroci and Tocci: Italy's foreign policy in 2019
- 15/02/2019 - press Judy Dempsey's Strategic Europe - Tocci: American Value and European Values
- 11/02/2019 - press Bloomberg - Tocci: Italy Taps a Simmering Resentment of the French in Diplomatic Feud
- 30/01/2019 - press New York Times - Tocci: The Messier Brexit Gets, the Better Europe Looks
- 17/01/2019 - press New York Times - Tocci: Amid Brexit Chaos, E.U. Sees a 'Catastrophic Success'
- 18/12/2018 - video Journal of Contemporary European Research - Tocci: European Security in the 21st Century
- 29/11/2018 - press Politico - Mikhelidze and Tocci: Europe's Russia sanctions are not working
- 27/09/2018 - press Bloomberg - Tocci: Italy's government faces first big test of unity
- 26/09/2018 - press Bloomberg - Tocci: Di Maio is running out of steam in his efforts to catch up to Salvini
- 17/07/2018 - press Politico - Tocci: EU should keep Turkey close and Erdoğan even closer
- 27/06/2018 - audio Altamar - Tocci: When “The Pond” Becomes an Ocean
- 21/06/2018 - press El País - Tocci: The 'Aquarius' sails from Valencia to return to international waters in front of Libya
- 13/06/2018 - press Politico - Tocci: What’s next for the West?
- 05/06/2018 - video BBC - Tocci: The EU between United States and Russia
- 29/05/2018 - press Tasmin News Agency - Tocci: Any European UN resolution against US JCPOA pullout to fail
- 28/05/2018 - press The Atlantic -Tocci: Spitting in Europe’s face won’t help Italy
- 22/05/2018 - video Bloomberg - Tocci: "No signs that Italy will cut ties with EU"
- 11/05/2018 - audio BBC World Service Radio - Tocci: Europe snaps back at US over Iran deal