Nathalie Tocci is Director of the Istituto Affari Internazionali and Honorary Professor at the University of Tübingen. She is Special Advisor to EU High Representative and Vice President of the Commission Josep Borrell. As Special Advisor to HRVP Federica Mogherini she wrote the European Global Strategy and worked on its implementation. She has been a member of Eni's Board of Directors since May 2020.
Previously she held research positions at the Centre for European Policy Studies, Brussels, the Transatlantic Academy, Washington and the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, Florence.
Her research interests include European foreign policy, conflict resolution, the Middle East and the Mediterranean.
Her major publications include: Framing the EU's Global Strategy, Springer-Palgrave Macmillan, 2017 (author); The EU, Promoting Regional Integration, and Conflict Resolution, Springer-Palgrave Macmillan, 2017 (co-editor); Turkey and the European Union, Palgrave Macmillan, 2015 (co-author); Multilateralism in the 21st Century, Routledge, 2013 (co-editor), Turkey’s European Future: Behind the Scenes of America’s Influence on EU-Turkey Relations, New York University Press, 2011 (author); and The EU and Conflict Resolution, Routledge, 2007 (author).
Nathalie is the 2008 winner of the Anna Lindh award for the study of European Foreign Policy.
Interview with Nathalie Tocci on the Global Strategy for the European Union's Foreign and Security Policy
- 17/12/2019 - press EWB - Tocci: "It is up to supporters of enlargement to win the debate on the reform"
- 08/12/2019 - press The Guardian - Tocci: "Josep Borrell: can EU’s new diplomat- in-chief strengthen bloc’s global standing?"
- 17/10/2019 - press Belgrade Security Forum - Tocci: "Eu enlargement: Playing it safe next time around"
- 14/10/2019 - press European Leadership Network - Tocci: ELN Contact Group Statement on Stereotyping and Dialogue
- 10/10/2019 - press Politico - Tocci:" As the US retreats from Middle East, Europe can no longer hide in its shadow"
- 08/10/2019 - press Bloombergquint - Tocci: "Trump mines weak spots in foreign leaders for battles at home"
- 28/07/2019 - press The New York Times - Nathalie Tocci: Iran links british seizure of oil tanker to ailing nuclear deal
- 09/07/2019 - press Financial Times - Nathalie Tocci: the Josep Borrel agenda
- 09/07/2019 - video CNN - Nathalie Tocci: the Iran crisis and the difficult Eu position
- 08/07/2019 - press The CS monitor - Nathalie Tocci: Europe diffusing goodness to the rest of the world through its soft power tools
- 05/07/2019 - press New York Times - Tocci: "E.U.'s Top Pick: Too Pious for Feminists, Too Feminist for Conservatives"
- 03/07/2019 - press Il Politico - Tocci: Get ready for a strong Eu
- 02/07/2019 - press The Wall Street journal - Nathalie Tocci: EU Leadership Nominees Share Tough Stances on Tech, Trade
- 25/06/2019 - press The Atlantic - Tocci: "What the Iran Crisis Reveals About European Power"
- 18/06/2019 - press Politico - Tocci: Top EU adviser blames US for Iran tensions
- 14/06/2019 - press New York Times - Tocci: US's policy was having the predictable effect of weakening moderates in Iran
- 14/06/2019 - press openDemocracy - Tocci: An autonomous Europe for a cooperative world
- 28/05/2019 - press Politico - Tocci: How Italy lost the European election
- 20/05/2019 - press The Atlantic - Tocci: Macron is portraying himself as a European leader of the Europeanist front
- 09/05/2019 - press Politico: Alcaro, Tocci: Europe can still save the Iran nuclear deal?