Job Opportunity – Mediterranean, Middle East And Africa Programme
- Position: Head of Programme
- Location: Rome, IAI, Via dei Montecatini, 17
- Deadline: 30 June 2023
- Expected start of collaboration: 1st September
The Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI), based in Rome, Italy is seeking to hire a Researcher to lead the Mediterranean, Middle East and Africa programme with responsibilities for research, fundraising, reporting and oversight of the programme activities and research projects. The programme examines the development of political, socio-economic and security dynamics across the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and Africa with a particular emphasis on EU and transatlantic policies towards these regions.
The successful candidate will carry out activities in the Programme including:
- drafting and management of national and international research projects
- fundraising and networking activities aimed at developing the programme
- coordinating researchers and staff assigned to the programme
- drafting articles, papers and research reports and supervision of material to be published
- maintaining relations with national and international media
- organising conferences, seminars, lectures
- participating as a speaker in seminars and conferences
- supervision and coordination with the communication team on external communication about projects for which she/he is responsible
- active contribution to and integration with IAI office and institutional organisation: take part in working groups and IAI committees, in internal meetings, in the selection processes of the scientific staff and in any transversal activities as needed
- serving as a full-time senior researcher, sitting on IAI's committees or working groups, attending in-house meetings, participating in the selection process for Programme researchers and interns and in cross-cutting activities as needed.
An essential requirement for the post is a strong knowledge of contemporary and historical developments in the MENA region and/or Africa as well as Italian, European and transatlantic policies in the MENA and/or Africa. Concrete experience in managing national and international research projects on the region, in addition to relationships with media, government entities and civil society organizations, are also necessary.
Applicants must have the following requirements:
- Have a Ph.D. or at least six years of professional experience in research at national and/or international research institutions, governmental institutions, international organizations, NGOs
- Academic/policy publications in English and Italian on Middle Eastern and/or African topics
- Previous experience of participation and management of national and/or international research projects
- Familiarity with both the academic literature and the international political debate on relevant topics related to these regions
- Excellent English writing and communication skills; Fluency or proficiency in Italian
- Having a network of contacts in academia (Italian and international), private sector (Italian and international), media (Italian and international), government (Italian) and institutions (Italian, EU and international) will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of a Middle Eastern language and/or of French will be considered an asset
- Familiarity with grant-making initiatives funded by the EU and other public and private entities (e.g., Horizon 2020, Horizon Europe, etc.)
- Specialization in the MENA region, with strong knowledge of case studies (e.g., conflicts, human security, development, authoritarianism) and/or sub-regions of the MENA area (e.g., North Africa, Middle East, Gulf, Sahel, Sub-Saharan Africa)
- Excellent knowledge of the challenges and opportunities of applied research in the Middle East and/or Africa
- Knowledge of the main EU and international policies and bodies with a relevant role in the Middle East and/or Africa.
- Availability for both research activities and operational/coordination work
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously
- Aptitude for communication
- Availability to travel.
What we are offering
- Remuneration/Salary commensurate with the candidate's profile and previous experience
- Stimulating work environment;
- Work towards the achievement of specific objectives;
- Autonomy and flexibility in completing assignments.
Applications must be submitted by 30 June 2023 h. 23:59 (CEST) to placement(at)iai.it, email object: last name – Rif. MENA-senior-2023, attaching the following documents in a pdf format:
- curriculum vitae with authorisation to process personal data in relation to the GDPR 2016/679
- short motivational letter
- Ph.D. certificate, if available
- list of publications, of which at least one available full-text
- two reference letters from a teacher or employer consistent with the candidate's academic and/or professional skills
- signed consent form for the processing of personal data in relation to the GDPR 2016/679 (IT, download).
No phone calls, please.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview which will take place in July, preferably in Rome at the IAI headquarters. In special circumstances online (Skype or other platforms) interviews may be considered.
No communication will be sent to non-selected candidates, whom we thank in advance for their interest.
Please note that the Selection Board's work and deliberations are strictly confidential.
This announcement is addressed to both genders and to people of all ages and all ethnic background, according to Italian law.