Job Alert – Junior Researcher – Mediterranean, Middle East and Africa Program
- Position: Junior Researcher
- Type of contract: term contract
- Duration: 01 October- 31 December 2021, with strong possibilities of renewal
- Site: Rome, IAI, Via dei Montecatini, 17
- Deadline: 31 August 2021
The Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI), based in Rome, (Italy), is hiring a Junior Researcher to work in the Mediterranean, Middle East and Africa Program to carry out and disseminate research with a particular focus on the following topics:
- Political, socio-economic and security dynamics,
- Dynamics and governance of migration and displacement,
- European and transatlantic policies with a particular focus on conflict, (human) security, cooperation and peace mediation,
- (Inter)regionalism and regionalisation
The successful candidate will carry out activities in the Programme including:
- Writing articles, papers, reports and research documents,
- Editing documents for publication,
- Collecting sources and producing documentation,
- Assisting in the organisation of seminars and conferences, producing reports about them,
- Supporting the cooordination of international reserach groups and projects which also involve political and civil society representatives,
- Participating as a speaker in seminars and conferences,
- Assistig with fundraising and networking activities aimed at developing the Mediterranean, Middle East and Africa Program,
- Updating the IAI website and coordinating communication activities of projects.
Applicants must have the following requirements:
- Italian or foreign Master Degree in: international relations, political science, area studies, diplomatic studies, economy, law;
- Have an excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Italian;
- Sound knowledge of the academic literature relating to the Middle East and North Africa, as well as Euro-Mediterranean relations
- a work or study experience in the region are considered an advantage
- some relevant work experience (which may also include postgraduate and / or internship training)
- outstanding skills in writing policy-oriented texts and reports; publications in English; editorial experience for proofreading is considered an advantage,
Knowledge of a Middle Eastern language and knowledge on gender in international relations, with particular reference to the role of women in diplomacy and peace mediation will be an asset.
What we are offering
The successful candidate will be offered a term contract lasting from 01 October to December 31st, 2021, with strong possibilities of renewal. The remuneration foreseen for the above-mentioned contract is € 1,400.00 gross per month.
Applications must be submitted by 31 August 2021, 23:59 (CET) to programma-med(at)iai.it , email object: last name – Rif. MED-junior-researcher-2021, attaching in a single pdf document:
- CV including date of birth, title of the Master's thesis and final grade, any additional qualifications (e.g. PhD), relevant work experience
- motivational letter in English (1 page max)
- any English language certifications
- possibly up to 2 short publications of which at least one as a single-author and/or a short unpublished scientific contribution.
The candidate may also attach a letter of reference.
No phone calls, please.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview which will take place from September 13 onwards, preferably in Rome at IAI headquarters, or online (Skype or other platforms).
No communication will be sent to non-selected candidates, whom we thank in advance for their interest.
Please note that the Selection Board's work and deliberations are strictly confidential.