Job alert - Global Actors: Asia
- Position: Researcher / Senior Fellow
- Type of contract: term contract
- Duration: September 2023 – December 2024, with possibilities to be extended
- Location: Rome, IAI, Via dei Montecatini, 17
- Deadline: 15 July 2023
Main responsibilities in the position
The Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI), based in Rome (Italy), is seeking to hire a Researcher or Senior Fellow responsible for research, reporting and outreach on the following topics: China and China’s foreign policy, EU/Italy-China relations, EU/Italy-South Korea relations, EU/Italy-Japan relations, international affairs of the Asia-Pacific.
His/her tasks will include:
- Researching and writing research papers, policy briefs and op-eds
- Supervision of material to be published
- Organizing seminars and conferences, and writing reports based on these events
- Coordinating international research teams and projects
- Participation in the drafting and management of national and European research projects
- Presenting and participating in conferences, briefings and lectures
- Fundraising and networking activities aimed at developing the economic programme / studies
- Management of external communication on projects for which s/he is responsible
The ideal candidate should have:
- A Ph.D. or at least four years of professional experience in research at national and / or international research centres, governmental institutions, international organizations, NGOs
- Excellent English writing and communication skills; Fluency or proficiency in Italian; knowledge of Mandarin Chinese would be an asset
- Familiarity and experience with both the academic literature and policy debate on international, and specifically economic, issues
- Anetwork of contacts in academia (Italian and international), private sector (Italian), medium (Italian), government (Italian) and institutions (Italian and EU) will be considered an asset
- Familiarity with standard software (MS Office).
Specializations of interest:
- China and Chinese foreign policy
- EU/Italy-China relations
- EU/Italy-South Korea relations
- EU/Italy-Japan relations
- International affairs in the Asia-Pacific.
- Availability both to research activities and to operational work
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously
- Aptitude for communication
- Availability to travel
What we are offering
The successful candidate will be offered a 16-month contract lasting from September 1st 2023 to December 31st, 2024, with the possibility of renewal. The annual offered salary ranges from € 32,000.00 to € 36,800.00 gross - commensurate with the candidate's profile and previous experience - paid in equal monthly installments with relative tax and social security deductions as provided by law.
Applications must be submitted by 15 July 2023, h.23:59 (CEST) to placement(at)iai.it, email object: last name – Asia-2023, attaching the following documents in a pdf format:
- curriculum vitae with a full list of publications, of which at least one available full-text
- short motivational letter
- two contacts of leading academics/experts for references
- signed consent form for the processing of personal data in relation to the GDPR 2016/679 (IT, download).
No phone calls, please.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview which will take place in the last week of July, preferably in Rome at IAI headquarters, or online (Skype or other platforms).
No communication will be sent to non-selected candidates, whom we thank in advance for their interest.
Please note that the Selection Board's work and deliberations are strictly confidential.
This announcement is addressed to both genders and to people of all ages and all nationalities, according to Italian law.