The Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI), in cooperation with The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy and the Public Diplomacy Division of NATO, is organizing a Conference on “NATO at 70: Assessing the Alliance’s Role in Arms Control and Non-Proliferation”.
The conference aims at increasing the knowledge and awareness among a wide interested audience, particularly Italy’s young scholars and students, on the importance and significance of NATO’s contribution in promoting international security on the basis of an evaluation of the past, present and potential future role of the Alliance in the field of arms control, disarmament and non-proliferation.
The conference will be open to 20 young Italian students, researchers, and professionals interested in NATO and the Arms Control, Non-Proliferation and Disarmament field.
The conference will be held in Rome, on 11-12th of May 2020.
The meeting will involve speakers from academia, think tanks, Italian institutions, international organizations, and will comprise four sessions on the following topics:
- NATO’s Non-Proliferation and Arms Control Strategy and the Risk Reduction Approach
- NATO’s Role in Arms Control: History and Current Challenges
- Current Challenges of Arms Control and Non-Proliferation and the Role ofNATO
- Round Table: NATO at 70 and the Challenges of Arms Control: The Way Forward
The working language of the conference will be English.
The call is open to junior diplomats, university students, PhD students, post-docs, researchers, scholars, young professionals, as well as journalists with interest in NATO, arms control, non-proliferation and disarmament.
Participation costs (travels and accommodation) for selected applicants coming from outside Rome will be covered by the organizers
- Age limit: 35 years old by the time of application
- Interest in NATO and the Arms Control, Non-Proliferation and Disarmament field
- Advanced level of English
- Résumé or CV
- Cover letter detailing the applicant’s motivations for taking part in the conference
- Short Letter of Reference
Applicants must submit their candidacy by March 23rd, 2020 by sending the application material to NATO70(at)iai.it
Selected candidates will be contacted by April 15th, 2020