Ten Years of Protests in the Middle East and North Africa. Dynamics of Mobilisation in a Complex (Geo)Political Environment
Despite being challenged by authoritarian counter-revolutionary responses, the Coronavirus pandemic, and a complex (geo)political context, the uprisings that started ten years ago in many countries of the Middle East and North Africa are still very much alive. By adopting a comparative approach, this comprehensive volume investigates the ongoing protests on three levels of analysis (local, national, regional) and through seven case studies (Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon, Morocco, Sudan, and Tunisia). Particular attention is also placed on the role of the European Union and its member states in this historical transformation.
Volume prepared in the framework of the IAI-ECFR-CeSPI project ‘Ten Years into the Protests in the Middle East and North Africa. Dynamics of Mobilisation in a Complex (Geo)Political Environment and the Role of the European Union’.
Foreword – Preserving Tyrannies / Lorenzo Kamel, p. 7-9
1. Ten Years of Arab Uprisings: A Conceptual Appraisal / Daniela Huber, p. 11-21
2. Iraq’s Tishreen Movement: A Decade of Protests and Mobilisation / Hafsa Halawa, p. 23-42
3. The Two Souls of the Egyptian Revolution and Its Decline. A Socio-Political Perspective / Mattia Giampaolo, p. 43-62
4. From Revolt to Community-Driven Resistance: Beirut’s Year of Hell / Carmen Geha, p. 63-84
5. Hirak’s Trajectory and the ‘New Algeria’ / Aurora Ianni, p. 85-101
6. Sudan’s Transition in the Balance / Theodore Murphy, p. 103-118
7. Morocco: A Decade of Popular Struggles and Monarchy Resistance / Francesca Caruso, p. 119-138
8. Tunisia’s Quest for Democracy: Unfinished Domestic Revolution and Regional Geopolitical Entanglements / Silvia Colombo, p. 139-164
9. A Decade Later: Revising European Approaches towards the MENA Region / Arturo Varvelli, Mattia Giampaolo and Lorena Stella Martini, p. 165-190
10. Popular Mobilisation and Authoritarian Reconstitution in the Middle East and North Africa: Ten Years of Arab Uprisings / Andrea Dessì, p. 191-206
Contributors, p. 207-209
Abbreviations, p. 211-213