Dario Cristiani is the IAI/GMF Fellow at the German Marshall Fund, working on Italian foreign policy, the Mediterranean and Global Politics in close connection with IAI. He is a Political Risk Consultant and a guest lecturer in several institutions in Europe and the Maghreb (Koninklijke Militaire School, Istituto Alti Studi Difesa, Sit Tunis). He has been an adjunct professor at Vesalius College (VUB) in Brussels from 2014 to 2018 and, from 2015, the director of its Executive Training in Global Risk Analysis and Crisis Management, (GRACM). He received his Ph.D. in Middle East & Mediterranean Studies from King’s College London.
From his publications:
“Forward... But Where To? The end of Bouteflika, the centrality of General Ahmed Gaïd Salah, and the parameters of change in Algeria”, in The Cairo Review of Global Affairs, No. 34, Summer 2019
“Les ambitions africaines de Daech : Quelles perspectives?”, in Diplomatie, No. 99, July/August 2019, p. 67-71
“Remain, Expand, Attract: The Paradigmatic Experience of the Islamic State in Libya”, in Terrorism Monitor, Vol. 17, No. 16, 9 August 2019
“Italy’s Waltz with China: Business as Usual for Rome”, in War on the Rocks, 19 June 2019
“Italy Joins the Belt and Road Initiative: Context, Interests, and Drivers”, in China Brief, Vol. 19, No. 8, 24 April 2019
“A Tumultuous, Informal Polyarchy: Algeria Between Clans, Old Threats and a Boiling Youth”, in Terrorism Monitor, Vol. 17, No. 2, 25 January 2019
Of Concerns and Image: The Alliance and Its Southern Flank (with Kacper Rekawek and Habib Sayah), Bratislava, GLOBSEC, February 2018
“A Problem for Tomorrow? Tunisia, Morocco and Foreign Fighters”, in Scott Nicholas Romaniuk et al. (eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Global Counterterrorism Policy, Palgrave MacMillan, 2017, p. 967-980
- 01/04/2020 - press The Jamestown foundation - Cristiani: The Chinese Charm Offensive Towards Italy as the Coronavirus Crisis Deepens
- 20/03/2020 - press GMF - Cristiani: Italy’s Coronavirus Experience and the Challenge by Extreme Crises to Liberal Democracies
- 26/02/2020 - press The Jamestown Foundation - Cristiani: "Italy-Ukraine Relations: Signs of Improvement, but No Breakthrough"
- 23/02/2020 - press The National Interest - Cristiani: "Trouble in Tripoli: Why Europe Must Respond to the Ambitions of Libyan Warlord Khalifa Haftar"
- 24/01/2020 - press GMF - Cristiani: "The Berlin Conference Showed Europe’s Dwindling Influence in Libya"
- 20/01/2020 - press Bloomberg - Cristiani: "Europe Mulls Military Mission in Libya, Amid Oil Disruption"
- 09/01/2020 - press Arab News - Cristiani: "Experts uncertain of strength of Libyan cease-fire"
- 13/11/2019 - press Voice of America - Cristiani: "Trump, Erdogan Discuss Turkey's Purchase of Russian Missile Defense System"
- 15/10/2019 - press Foreign Policy - Cristiani: "Turkey Faces Sanctions Over Syria Incursion"