Silvia Colombo is Head of the Mediterranean & Middle East Programme at IAI. She is an expert on Middle Eastern politics and in this capacity she is working on Euro-Mediterranean cooperation, transatlantic relations in the Mediterranean and domestic and regional politics in the Arab World. Among her research interests there are also the relations between the European Union and the countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). She completed a traineeship at the International Secretariat of Amnesty International in London where she worked mainly on Syria and Iraq. She holds a Ph.D. in Comparative Politics from the Scuola Normale Superiore of Pisa (Florence Branch) and a Master's Degree in Near and Middle Eastern Studies from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London. She speaks Arabic fluently and has travelled extensively in the Middle Eastern region.
Vol. 52, No. 2, June 2017
- 24/11/2017 - audio Cyprus News Digest - Colombo: The geopolitics of the Eastern Mediterranean
- 05/04/2017 - press Judy Dempsey's Strategic Europe Blog - Judy Asks: Is Europe Powerless in the Middle East?
- 28/10/2016 - press World Politics Review - Colombo: History and Hydrocarbons Drive Italy’s Relations With North Africa
- 18/08/2016 - audio Al Arabiya - Colombo: foreign policies of the GCC countries
- 20/04/2016 - press ISS Today - Colombo: A turning point for Libya?
- 12/04/2016 - press Reuters - Colombo: Few options for Italy as it pressures Egypt over murdered student
- 06/04/2016 - press Africanews - Colombo: Libya: UN-backed govt struggling to ‘rule’ a divided Libya
- 06/04/2016 - press Daily Maverick - Colombo: Blow to Libya unity govt as Tripoli rival refuses to cede power
- 06/04/2016 - press ahramonline - Colombo: Blow to Libya unity govt as Tripoli rival refuses to cede power
- 06/04/2016 - press AFP - Colombo: Fayez al-Sarraj: novice politician trying to unite Libya